Are You A Clutterer? Take This Simple Quiz
We've all had challenges keeping our homes today and our lives well-organized. But how can you tell if you've got a chronic issue with clutter?
Clutterer's Anonymous - an organization that helps compulsive clutterers improve their lives - has published a quiz that can help you figure out if your cluttering might be something serious.
Answer the following questions about your cluttering habits:
- Do you have more possessions than you can comfortably handle?
- Are you embarrassed to invite family, friends, health care providers, or maintenance workers into your home because it is not presentable?
- Do you find it easier to drop something instead of putting it away or to wedge it into an overcrowded drawer or closet rather than finding space for it?
- Is your home, or any part of it, unusable for its intended purpose, with a bed you can’t sleep in, a garage you can’t park in, a kitchen you can’t cook in, or a table you can’t use for dining?
- Is clutter causing problems at home, at work, or in your relationships?
- Do you hesitate sharing about this problem because you feel embarrassment, guilt, or shame about it?
- Do you have a weakness for discarded objects, bargain items, freebies, reading materials, or yard sales?
- Do you use avoidance, distraction, or procrastination to escape dealing with your clutter?
- Does your clutter create a risk of falling, fire, infestation, or eviction?
- Do you avoid starting assignments, miss deadlines, or abandon projects because you can’t find the paperwork or material you need?
- Do you have difficulty making decisions about what to do with your possessions, daily living, or life in general?
- Do you rent storage space to house possessions that you rarely use?
- Do cleaning, organizing, follow through, upkeep, and maintenance all become daunting tasks, making the simplest of chores insurmountable?
- Do you bring an item into your home without designating a place for it and releasing an equivalent one?
- Do you believe that there is all the time in the world to clean your house, finish those projects, and read all those piles of old magazines or newspapers?
- Are you easily sidetracked, moving from one project to another, without finishing any of them?
- Are you constantly doing things for others while your own home is out of order?
- Do you often replace possessions rather than find or clean those you already have?
- Does perfectionism keep you from doing anything at all?
- Does clutter cause you to have late charges added to your monthly financial obligations?
- Do you feel a strong sense of emotional attachment toward your possessions, which makes it difficult to release them?
- Do you consider all your possessions to be of equal worth, whether or not the objects have financial, functional, or sentimental value?
- Do you waste your valuable time and talents by constantly rescuing yourself from clutter?
- Does clutter keep you from enjoying quality leisure time?
- Is the clutter problem growing?
If you answered 'yes' to more than half of these questions, you may have a serious problem with clutter. Seeking the help of a professional organizer can be a good first step to getting a handle of your clutter and understanding how you can develop new habits to keep your life and home in order.
Hidden Transformations Professional Organization and Productivity Services is here to help. Contact your professional organizer today and get started on the path to cluttering recovery!
Fri, June 30, 2017